Website SafeHouse Denver
Reports directly to: Director of Shelter Services
· 40 hours per week/full-time.
· Shift work including late evenings, overnights, Wednesday day meeting, weekends
· On-call responsibilities on a rotating basis, extra compensation provided for being on call.
· $18.50 – $20 per hour
· Non-exempt position.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: SafeHouse Denver, Inc. is dedicated to the principles of equal employment opportunities. We provide equal employment and advancement opportunities to all individuals based on job-related qualifications and their ability and willingness to perform the duties necessary to accomplish the job, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, marital status, national origin, age, sexual orientation, gender variance or identification, disability, military status, economic status, citizenship status, and/or veteran status. It is our policy to maintain a non-discriminatory environment free from intimidation, harassment or bias based upon these grounds.
Position Summary: Under the direct supervision of the Director of Shelter Services, the Overnight Advocate is responsible for providing services to victims of domestic violence by: responding to callers who access the SafeHouse 24-hour crisis line; screening potential emergency shelter residents; providing initial intakes for new residents; providing short-term individual advocacy, counseling, safety planning, and crisis intervention to all residents; and supporting a safe and secure shelter space.
Qualifications: Bachelor’s in Social Work, Psychology, Human Services, or other related field required. 2 years experience with domestic violence victims in a residential setting preferred. Bilingual English/Spanish Preferred. Successful candidate must have a strong working knowledge of domestic violence, working knowledge of trauma informed/empowerment models, demonstrated skills in safety planning, crisis intervention, individual advocacy, and short-term counseling. Excellent written and oral communication skills are required. Ability to function independently and as a team member. Must exhibit a positive attitude.
Benefits: Excellent benefits including 95% employer-paid health insurance, 100% dental, LTD, and Life. Generous vacation, holiday and sick leave policy, among other benefits.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Utilizing trauma-informed/empowerment models the Overnight Advocate
Responds to callers who access the SafeHouse 24 hours crisis line
Provides emotional support, crisis intervention, and de-escalation
· Provides information and education on domestic abuse, trauma response, and coping skills
· Supports callers in assessing immediate needs, identifying culturally appropriate resources and referrals, and supports callers in developing a plan of action
· Provides safety planning by supporting callers in assessing danger/risks, identifying culturally appropriate resources and referrals, and supports callers in implementing their safety plan
· Screens callers for shelter
Provides initial intake of new residents
· Orientates new residents to the shelter building and program
· Provides appraisal of the resident’s presenting problem
· Assess immediate needs, identify culturally appropriate resources and referrals, and support residents in developing a plan of action
· Provides safety planning by supporting residents in assessing danger/risks, identifying culturally appropriate resources and referrals, and supports residents in implementing their safety plan
· Provides emotional support, de-escalation, and crisis intervention during the intake process
Provides short-term individual advocacy, counseling, safety planning, and crisis intervention to all residents, including children
· Provides emotional support, crisis intervention, and de-escalation to residents as needed or requested
· Supports residents in developing short-term goals plans to address immediate concerns
· Provides information and education about domestic abuse, trauma response, and coping skills
Provides safety planning by supporting residents in assessing danger/risks, identifying culturally appropriate resources and referrals, and supports residents in implementing their safety plan
· Communicates with Primary Advocates to ensure quality services to residents
Facilitates House Meetings and Support Groups, as needed
Supports a safe and secure shelter space
· Supports a safe and respectful community living environment by providing emotional support, de-escalation, conflict management, problem solving, and crisis intervention
· Conducts regular safety checks and safety searches as needed
· Supports participation in the shelter program and community living by providing and explaining information about the shelter program and clarifying expectations of residents
· Supports residents in meeting their day to day needs by supplying personal items, shelter supplies and food
Maintains accurate and timely record keeping
· Responsible for appropriate charting and all necessary documentation
Demonstrates initiative and vision for service quality, service improvement, program development/growth, problem prevention, and problem resolution
· Works diligently to achieve individual, team, and agency goals and objectives
· Participates with all staff to assure coordinated services both within the Shelter and across all agency programs
· Utilizes ethical communication to resolve problems or conflicts with team members
· Attends weekly case management/staff meetings, monthly all agency meetings, and program meetings
· Actively participates in program development
· Participates in agency and community educational opportunities to maintain and improve skills
Represents SafeHouse and promotes SafeHouse services in a positive and professional manner
· Networks with other service providers and community agencies in an effort to assist clients and the agency
Rotates week long on-call shifts to provide adequate phone consultation and support to team members
· Responds to phone calls within 15 minutes of first contact by a fellow team member
· Effectively supports and collaborates with onsite staff to address questions, and resolve issues as needed
All other duties as assigned
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org