The guide provides tools for addressing domestic violence at each point of Child Welfare involvement:
- Screening (referrals, Differential Response)
- Assessment (interviews, documentation, decision making)
- Ongoing (Family Services Planning, case closure)
In addition, the guide devotes a section to Building a Coordinated Community Response to Domestic Violence and emphasizes the value of linking adult victims with community-based advocacy organizations.
So what exactly is in there? A few of the tools include:
- A chart of perpetrator tactics (p. 20-21)
- A chart of ways children are impacted by domestic violence (p. 34-36)
- The five Core Components of a domestic violence assessment (p. 50)
- Key questions for supervising domestic violence assessments (p. 58)
- Family services planning guidelines (p. 72), and sample plans (p. 109-116)
Check it out for yourself!
The guide is available here: DV_CPS_Practice_Guide_5.13.13.
Violence Free Colorado is hosting recordings of webinars about Child Protective Services in the ‘Members’ section of our website. These webinars can help with basic information about CPS’ process, the Practice Guide, and steps advocacy organizations can take to increase coordination with CPS.
For more information, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.